Auto insurance covers damages done to you, your car, other people and other's property as a result of your car.

The amount of insurance you need depends on the other insurance coverage you have, the value of your car, the amount of other assets you need to protect and the rules in your state.

Basic Auto Insurance Coverage

Bodily Injury and Property Damage liability coverage. This coverage is not only essential, but required by your state. Bodily Injury liability provides coverage if you are found legally liable for an auto accident. It provides coverage for medical expenses, loss of income, pain and suffering, and funeral costs to the injured party. It also provided defense costs, to you, if you are sued for the accident. Property Damage Liability provides coverage to fix any property that was damaged in an accident that you are legally liable. This includes, but is not limited to other vehicles, buildings, light poles, etc.

Auto liability coverage. This is the most important coverage on the policy. It protects your assets, such as your home, investments and saving account if you are found liable for an auto accident. Some policies will provide a maximum coverage amount. Umbrella or Excess Liability policies can help supplement your liability exposure. Talk with your Starion insurance professional to learn more.

Uninsured and Underinsured Bodily Injury coverage. If you are involved in an accident that was caused by another party and they do not have efficient limits to cover your bodily injury, this type of policy provides you coverage.

Collision coverage. In collisions where you are found legally liable, this covers damages to your vehicle. Typically, there is a deductible that has to be met before this coverage will pay out. Not all vehicles are required to have this coverage however, if you have a loan you may be required to carry collision. It also provides coverage to your vehicle if it was hit and run by another party.

Comprehensive coverage. This provides coverage to your vehicle for losses other than collision. For example, fire, theft, wind, hail, vandalism and collision with an animal. Most of the time this coverage will also have a deductible which must be met before it will pay out. This coverage also may provide coverage for rock chip repairs for windshields without meeting you deductible (check your current policy for restrictions.)

If there is an accident and you are responsible for damages, you want to make sure your other assets are protected. If you have other assets, such as a home or investments, you want to make sure you do not lose them in a lawsuit over an auto accident. The more assets you have, the greater the coverage you need. Also, if a driver that is uninsured or under-insured hurts you, your policy will pay for your expenses.

If you have questions or want to request a change in coverage, contact your Starion Insurance professional today or request a coverage change online. If you’re new to Starion Insurance, you can request a free quote online and get the process started today.