Returning to our roots
Being a good member of the community includes being cognizant of the effects we are having on the planet. The integration of sustainability principles is part of the Starion Bank corporate philosophy. We are working toward a more sustainable, eco-friendly future with a number of initiatives to save energy, water and money. We're accomplishing this mission in several ways.
Native grasses project
We’ve been changing from regular lawns to landscaping that includes native prairie grasses and flowers adapted to our climate and soil. This approach requires less irrigation and resources to maintain, while providing increased plant and animal habitat. It also adds beauty to the area around the offices, a major amenity for building occupants. And besides helping us be a greener company, it reminds us of our heritage.
Saving paper and reducing energy costs
In addition to the native prairie grasses, all Starion branches have a focus on energy conservation. We use automatic lights that conserve energy by shutting off when employees aren’t present, and we install geothermal heating and cooling systems in our new construction.
Starion’s Fargo Urban Plains office has one of the first living roofs in the Fargo-Moorhead region. This 3,000-square-foot roof uses soil and vegetation to insulate and reduce energy usage up to 20%, and:
- Reduces the amount of storm water discharged into storm sewers, lowering flood risks
- Absorbs pollutants, including greenhouse gases
- Reduces the “heat island” effect, where concrete and other heat-absorbing materials can increase temperatures
Our branch in Bismarck on the corner of Washington Street and Century Avenue was the optimal location for a set of 63 solar panels. Each panel is 365 watts, totaling nearly 23 kilowatts, and is expected to generate about 50 percent of the power for that building over a 12-month period. Even on cloudy days, the array produces energy. This not only reduces the building’s carbon footprint by 40 percent, it is expected to save approximately $3,000 a year based on current utility rates.
We've also added a solar array of 102 panels to our Middleton location and expect to see a large amount of power generated for that building. We have future plans to add panels to three more locations in the near future!
How can you get involved?
At Starion Bank, we have introduced many products and services that are more convenient for you and are more eco-friendly.
- Our free eStatements are a secure option that allows customers to receive electronic account statements rather than paper statements.
- You can further reduce paper waste by choosing to pay bills through Mobile and Online Banking with Bill Pay, or sending and receiving money through Popmoney.
- Additionally, we offer online mortgage applications and online account opening allowing customers to get prequalified for a mortgage or open a checking account in the comfort of their own home.
Connect with us!
Be the first to hear about rate specials, free community events and news from Starion Bank.
We value and protect your privacy, and emails will be sent through Starion Bank's secure third-party email marketing company.