Returning to our roots
Being a good member of the community includes being cognizant of the effects we are having on the planet. The integration of sustainability principles is part of the Starion Bank corporate philosophy. We are working toward a more sustainable, eco-friendly future with a number of initiatives to save energy, water and money. We're accomplishing this mission in several ways.
Native grasses project
We’ve been changing from regular lawns to landscaping that includes native prairie grasses and flowers adapted to our climate and soil. This approach requires less irrigation and resources to maintain, while providing increased plant and animal habitat. It also adds beauty to the area around the offices, a major amenity for building occupants. And besides helping us be a greener company, it reminds us of our heritage.
Saving paper and reducing energy costs
In addition to the native prairie grasses, all Starion branches have a focus on energy conservation. We use automatic lights that conserve energy by shutting off when employees aren’t present, and we install geothermal heating and cooling systems in our new construction.
Starion’s Fargo Urban Plains office has one of the first living roofs in the Fargo-Moorhead region. This 3,000-square-foot roof uses soil and vegetation to insulate and reduce energy usage up to 20%, and:
- Reduces the amount of storm water discharged into storm sewers, lowering flood risks
- Absorbs pollutants, including greenhouse gases
- Reduces the “heat island” effect, where concrete and other heat-absorbing materials can increase temperatures
Starion is committed to solar energy. To date, we have solar panel arrays at our Bismarck North, Bismarck Main and Middleton branches. In addition, we are the largest investor of the Cass County Electric Cooperative Prairie Sun Community Solar, North Dakota’s first active community solar garden located in Fargo.
Even on cloudy days, the arrays produces energy. The solar panels on our buildings not only provide up to 50% of each buildings’ power per year, in Bismarck we are able to sell back unused power to the electrical grid. True to our core value of sustainability, we are able to save energy, reduce stress on the power grid and reduce our carbon footprint, all while saving money.
For 2020, we are looking at additional arrays in Mandan and Rolla.
How can you get involved?
At Starion Bank, we have introduced many products and services that are more convenient for you and are more eco-friendly.
- Our free eStatements are a secure option that allows customers to receive electronic account statements rather than paper statements.
- You can further reduce paper waste by choosing to pay bills through Mobile and Online Banking with Bill Pay, or sending and receiving money through Zelle.
- Additionally, we offer online mortgage applications and online account opening allowing customers to get prequalified for a mortgage or open a checking account in the comfort of their own home.
Connect with us!
Be the first to hear about rate specials, free community events and news from Starion Bank.
We value and protect your privacy, and emails will be sent through Starion Bank's secure third-party email marketing company.